Thursday, September 11, 2008

Outdoor Sculpture at Maudslay State Park


The tenth Outdoor Sculpture Show takes places at Maudslay State Park in Newburyport, MA from September 14 to October 5. I am particpating for the second time. Last time (two years ago), I rediscovered my love for ink and paper. That has led me back to words and this time I am using the words of the American poet John Greenleaf Whittier who lived in neighboring Amesbury. I have gathered one hundred forty-two lines from Whittier's poems which are written on strips of tyvek and tied to the low branches of two apple trees. I hope some of these lines will give visitors to the park words of celebration to carry with them after they leave.



Here is the catalog statement:
Whispered Fragments combines love of the written word, calligraphy and a sensitivity to the natural environment. Maudslay is a place of landscaped nature and people past and present. Apple trees stand along the path that beckons us toward the Laurel Walk where John Greenleaf Whittier and friends gathered for readings in the nineteenth century. I am writing fragments of his poems on pieces of tyvek and hanging them from the laurels, a form of presentation inspired by the Japanese.


I first worked with tyvek strips and poetry with middle school students in the PoeTree Project during last year's Newburyport Literary Festival. I was inspired by a photograph of a Japanese screen that is in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago.


The Outdoor Sculpture show is organized by the artists and always provides an eclectic and interesting array of work. There is a catalog available to guide you through. On Saturday, September 20, there is a reception and tour from 3-6 pm.

Photos of the installation

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis